Error. Page cannot be displayed. Please contact your service provider for more details. (26)

DoorQ.Com | Prop 8. It’s only the beginning.

RSS Feed

Prop 8. It’s only the beginning.

adam and Jaytee
 Adam and JT at their wedding

A bittersweet night as Jody called it. That’s what I’m calling it too. Barack Obama will be sworn in as our 44th President of the United States. After eight years of being in a fog of war, anti-American sentiment abroad, and an economic meltdown at home, Americans have awaken and chose the best leader to guide us into the future.

As proud as I am for my fellow Americans that voted the issues over race in the presidential election, I am also saddened by my fellow Californians that voted Yes on discrimination against same sex couples. And not just in California, but also in Florida and Arizona. It was giant leap forward for civil rights, but three steps back in LGBT rights.

I had to talk my husband Adam down from tears of despair. We got married on August 8th in front of 80 family and friends. I assured him that no person could take away my right to call him husband. No matter how many Californians voted to take away our inalienable right. I will always love him. And I will always be his best friend, partner and husband.

And even though I might be disappointed, I’m not angry. I’m not surprised. Equal rights are not granted without shedding blood, sweat and tears. They are not handed to you on a silver platter. They are to be fought for. And the fight is long. And it does not come without sacrifices.

Some say that the LGBT community bit off more than we can chew. Some say, we haven’t struggled long enough or hard enough to deserve marriage equality. We should have focused on anti-discrimination laws and getting rid of the “don’t ask, don’t tell policy. Maybe they are right. But that’s not where we are today. We must fight the battle that is before us. And from this moment on, we must stand up for all our rights. And we must march forward and continue the struggle for equality for all people.

Tonight I toast to the victory of civil rights championed by Martin Luther King Jr. Tomorrow, I’ll work on my own civil right. I’ll join millions of voices in overturning prop 8. The discrimination of prop 8 stands in direct opposition to the civil rights already written into our California state constitution.

I say to my community, I’m not finished. We are not finished. Only in defeat can we learn the tools to victory.

–JT Tepnapa

No Comments

1. goddoorq says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

My heart goes out to both of you. Stay strong, brothers…fight this monster and banish it back to the hell that spawned it.

And if you need a long-distance crying shoulder, either of you, you have my number (it hasn’t changed yet) – give me a call.

– Josh

2. goddoorq says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

Hear, hear, JT. Paul and I were married on July 4. And as a marriage is supposed to, we have both been supporting each other through this emotional rollercoaster. The extreme high of seeing Obama become President, and the extreme low of watching Prop 8 slip by our grasp.

But we all have to move on. Keep fighting. Keep moving ever upward.

3. goddoorq says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

I found my self wincing a little bit as both McCain and Obama mentioned how far we have come with bigotry and intolerance in this country. And then Obama went on to thank the Gays for our votes – even though he is on record as being against gay marriage.
    I left me feeling a little conflicted to say the least.

4. goddoorq says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

No matter what the law says I will still call Nathan my Husband I have no other word

5. goddoorq says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

Yah know, I understand it’s a long fight, and Im not hating on Obama for his stance on Gay Marriage. no national candidate who actually wants to be elected can really stand up and say they are for gay marriage and get elected. generally People are too scared of the homos. We’re the new boogyman.

6. Anonymous says
    November 16, 2010, 4:49 am

Hey guys – beautiful words – my heart echoes with empathy. I agree about keeping up the fight – the GLBT community really should take this as a sign ‘Hey, we still have a long road ahead’- I was hoping that California would be a catalyst for change and I’d bet money that the entire nation was more curious about Prop 8’s results than the presidential race – so let’s not feel sorry for ourselves but show California we deserve equality.